We are open - safety is our top priority!
At Polifko & Dvorak, we offer practical solutions for a wide range of dental care requirements. If you or any member of your family is currently experiencing lesions in your mouth, on your gums, or around your lips, our dentists can provide you with the solution you need. When oral lesions are causing you pain, discomfort and embarrassment, call our dental professionals to schedule an appointment. Rather than resorting to ineffective over-the-counter medications or home remedies, laser therapy from our office can remove these issues and can help you to look and feel your best every day. We work with you every step of the way and provide affordable options for your dental care needs. Our goal is to help you achieve the best dental health possible for yourself and every member of your family.
Understanding Oral Lesions
Oral and dental lesions can be caused by injuries to your mouth, certain viruses and congenital conditions. In some cases, the treatments available for these issues may vary depending on the underlying causes of the problem. Almost all types of oral lesions, however, can be addressed by laser dentistry treatment. Some of the most commonly reported types of oral lesions include the following:
- Lesions caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) can appear inside the mouth or throat. HPV can also cause a variety of other symptoms, including enlargement of the lymph nodes, flu-like symptoms and difficulty in swallowing.
- Cold sores are annoying and sometimes painful consequences of an infection with type 1 herpes simplex virus. Also referred to as fever blisters, cold sores often appear around the outer edges of lips and can create an unhealthy or unattractive appearance for patients at Polifko & Dvorak.
- Canker sores, also called aphthous ulcers, are common ailments that can cause pain and discomfort on the gums or inside the mouth. Working with our dental team can help you to manage these issues more effectively to improve your appearance and your overall state of health.
- Hemangiomas are relatively rare and are usually present from birth. The rubbery appearance of hemangiomas can seem alarming. In fact, however, these growths are non-cancerous and usually pose no threat to your health. Addressing them promptly, however, can help you to feel more confident and comfortable in a wide range of social situations.
Oral Lesions Treatment Options
Some lesions may respond to prescription topical medications. Our dentists will work with you to find the ideal oral lesions treatment for your needs after an initial examination. If you are a good candidate for laser dentistry treatment, our team will work with you to determine the best and most appropriate solutions for your oral lesions and your overall state of dental health. Antiviral medications, oral gels and steroid treatments were once the gold standard for treatment of lesions of the lips, gums and mouth. Today, laser dentistry is considered the best way to approach most cases of oral lesions and to promote faster healing and improved appearance for our patients.
Laser Dentistry for Oral Lesions
Laser dentistry can be used to treat nearly all types of oral lesions. Studies have shown dramatic improvements in patients who undergo these treatments. In most cases, the process is painless or nearly so. Pain relief is often immediate and persists for weeks after the treatment. The healing process is also faster after your laser dentistry procedure than after comparable surgical procedures. This can help you get things back on track and get back to normal more quickly after addressing these dental issues.
The Basics of Laser Treatment
Advances in laser therapies have made it possible for the dentists at Polifko & Dvorak to provide you with practical help in dealing with lesions of nearly all types. Biolase manufactures some of the most popular laser dentistry options. These lasers can target bacterial and viral buildups in your mouth and on your lips to eliminate lesions safely and effectively. If you have been diagnosed with a type of lesion that is treatable with laser dentistry, you can often achieve much better results and faster healing with laser therapy options.
The Steps of Laser Treatment for Lesions
The dentists at Polifko & Dvorak will inform you about your upcoming laser dentistry procedure. In general, the steps necessary for this treatment are listed below:
- Our dental team will first diagnose your condition. If necessary, we will perform a biopsy before or in conjunction with your laser therapy treatment. The tissue excised for biopsy will be sent to a pathology lab to ensure that the issue is diagnosed accurately.
- Your treatment will usually last between 30 minutes and an hour. During that time, the laser will be adjusted to ensure that diseased and affected tissue can be removed completely without damaging healthy tissues.
- You will usually experience near-total relief within just a few hours of your treatment.
Give Polifko & Dvorak a call today at (703) 595-2887 to schedule your appointment with our team. We look forward to the chance to provide you with convenient and timely dental care in Woodbridge.